For nearly two decades, I got used to doing bar inventory the hard way.
That’s right, I looked at all the different shaped liquor bottles and took my best guess. .2 on the Absolute, .7 on the Jack Daniels. I even lifted the kegs by hand and gave them a shake. The Sam Adams feels half full, but the Stella maybe only a quarter.
This is how most of us take inventory.
Unless you’ve invested a small fortune in one of those electronic devices that accurately measures out every pour and then tells you what’s left in each bottle, you’re probably still doing it this way… the old school way. That is, if you take inventory at all. I still see lots of places not completing this most important of all details on a regular basis. Truth is, they have absolutely no idea of their true beverage cost and the same goes with the food, at their peril. I believe this is the kiss of death in this business.
Well if any of this sounds like you, its your lucky day.
My guest in this episode is Dave Allred from barpatrol.net. Not only is Dave a veteran operator still running his own place, but he’s helped countless other places systemize their own inventories. Now, he’s invented a cracker-jack “APP”, that’s the absolute easiest way to take both your food & drink inventory. Its a system made simple that will free your time for the thousand other important details of running your place.
But best of all, this APP makes inventory as accurate as you can get it.
Give today’s episode a listen and then go to www.barpatrol.net and schedule a free “Screenshare Demo” live with Dave. You’ll see what I mean and after this, I’ll be surprised if you go back to the way thing were.
Now go out there and Rock Your Restaurant.
LISTEN TO THE PODCAST
COMPLETE EPISODE TRANSCRIPTION BELOW
DON'T MISS A SINGLE EPISODE. SUBSCRIBE TO THE PODCAST ON ITUNES SO YOU CAN LISTEN IN YOUR CAR, WHILE YOU WALK YOUR DOG OR WHILE YOU TRAVEL! KNOWLEDGE ON THE GO + FOOD FOR THOUGHT!
Restaurant Rockstars has customers in 22+ countries and we are just getting started!
Join our movement today to help restaurant owners and managers on a global level ROCK THEIR RESTAURANTS! This mission is so important to us that we are offering a crazy generous commission plan. Check it out!
More Great Podcast Episodes:
- May 30, 2019 Episode #164 How to add a new Custom Branded Profit Center May 30, 2019
- May 23, 2019 Episode #163 Regular Guys Building an Unstoppable Brand! May 23, 2019
- May 16, 2019 Episode #162 How to DECREASE Costs by 12% and Find Money in your Restaurant May 16, 2019
- May 9, 2019 Episode #161 The Soul Of A Great Restaurant May 9, 2019
- May 2, 2019 Episode #160 Email Marketing Superheroes Dish Tips For Restaurants May 2, 2019
- Apr 24, 2019 Episode #159 Decades of Experience and Advice from an Industry Veteran Apr 24, 2019
- Apr 18, 2019 Episode #158 The Spirit and Passion of a Restaurateur Apr 18, 2019
- Apr 11, 2019 Episode #157 A Real Life Menu Overhaul For Maximum Profitability Apr 11, 2019
- Apr 3, 2019 Episode #156 The Power of Birthday Marketing Apr 3, 2019
- Mar 28, 2019 Episode #155 An Easy Way To Source Restaurant Equipment Mar 28, 2019
- Mar 21, 2019 Episode #154 New Source Of BIG PROFITS For Your Restaurant Mar 21, 2019
- Mar 13, 2019 Epsiode #153 Get Your House In Order then Count your Cash! Mar 13, 2019
- Mar 6, 2019 Episode #152 True Restaurant Success Part II with Jesse Vasquez Mar 6, 2019
- Feb 28, 2019 Episode #151 Dominate your Competition like a Las Vegas Casino Feb 28, 2019
- Feb 13, 2019 Episode #150 Credit Card Processing For Restaurants DeMystified Feb 13, 2019
- Feb 6, 2019 Episode #149 Five Powerful Letters Spell Restaurant Success! Feb 6, 2019
- Jan 31, 2019 Episode #148 Is your Restaurant Capturing Lightning in a Bottle? Jan 31, 2019
- Jan 23, 2019 Episode #147 Does Your Menu Print Money? Jan 23, 2019
- Jan 16, 2019 Episode #146 How To Get The Greatest Employees On The Planet! Jan 16, 2019
- Jan 3, 2019 Episode #145 How To Capture More PROFIT From Your Restaurant DATA Jan 3, 2019
- Dec 19, 2018 Episode #144 Everything You Need To Know About Food Trucks & Restaurant Equipment Dec 19, 2018
- Dec 12, 2018 Episode #143 Do You Really Need To Take Reservations? You May Be Surprised! Dec 12, 2018
- Dec 6, 2018 Episode #142 A Winding Road of Restaurant Success with Jesse Vazquez Dec 6, 2018
- Nov 27, 2018 Episode #141 A Brewmeister’s Keys To Building A Successful Business! Nov 27, 2018
- Nov 20, 2018 Episode #140 Don’t Rely on Social Media to Market your Restaurant - Erik Shellenberger Nov 20, 2018
- Nov 9, 2018 Episode #139 Make More Money Over The Holidays (START NOW) Nov 9, 2018
- Nov 1, 2018 Episode #138 When Staffing Your Restaurant Fight Fire with FIRE! Nov 1, 2018
- Oct 26, 2018 Episode #137 Service that Stinks Oct 26, 2018
- Oct 17, 2018 Episode #136 Genius Biz Lesson From THE ROLLING STONES Oct 17, 2018
- Oct 10, 2018 Episode #135 What The VIBE Says About Your Restaurant Oct 10, 2018
- Oct 2, 2018 Episode #134 A New Restaurant Profit Center On the Fly! Oct 2, 2018
- Sep 26, 2018 Episode #133 The MOST Important Detail in your Restaurant! Sep 26, 2018
- Sep 18, 2018 Episode #132 Strategy From A Top Brand Expert Sep 18, 2018
- Sep 12, 2018 Episode #131 The Secret to Wild Restaurant Success! Sep 12, 2018
- Sep 5, 2018 Episode #130 Does your Indie stack up to the Competition? Sep 5, 2018
- Aug 21, 2018 Episode #129 Restaurant Pet Peeves - don’t let them happen in your place! Aug 21, 2018
- Aug 14, 2018 Episode #128 Everything You Need To Know About Beer With Don Tse Aug 14, 2018
- Aug 6, 2018 Episode #127 One Cool Tip: How an ICEBERG can Double Your Restaurant Sales! Aug 6, 2018
- Jul 30, 2018 Episode #126 One Foot From Disaster, My Journey To Wild Success Jul 30, 2018
- Jul 17, 2018 Episode #125 If You’re Not a Social Media Junkie, Someone Better Be! Jul 17, 2018
- Jul 11, 2018 Episode #124 A Seasoned Operator’s Keys to Mega-Success Jul 11, 2018
- Jul 3, 2018 Episode #123 Why You Should Add “Scorpions” To Your Menu Jul 3, 2018
- Jun 27, 2018 Episode #122 Lessons Learned Going from Hotdog Stand to World’s Largest Nightclub! Jun 27, 2018
- Jun 20, 2018 Episode #121 One Word That Creates Staff Magic! Jun 20, 2018
- Jun 6, 2018 Episode #120 The Only Way To Staff Your Restaurant Jun 6, 2018
- May 31, 2018 Episode #119 Build Your Brand Inside and Out! May 31, 2018
- May 24, 2018 Episode #118 The AMAZING Power of EMPOWERING YOUR STAFF! May 24, 2018
- May 17, 2018 Episode #117 Ambiance or Food, Which Comes First? May 17, 2018
- May 10, 2018 Episode #116 When Concept Executions Go Wrong (or right) May 10, 2018
- May 3, 2018 Episode #115 Your Recipe For Success Fails Without This ONE Ingredient May 3, 2018
- Apr 24, 2018 Episode #114 Stay Relevant or Become the Next Restaurant Statistic! Apr 24, 2018
- Apr 17, 2018 Episode #113 Launching a New Concept - Mr Bing On Fire in NYC! Apr 17, 2018
- Apr 12, 2018 Episode #112 Talking Restaurants with World-Renowned Celebrity Chef David Burke Apr 12, 2018
- Apr 4, 2018 Episode #111 Where else can you get $250,000 in 10 Minutes? Apr 4, 2018
- Mar 27, 2018 Episode #110 Your people are your greatest asset Mar 27, 2018
- Mar 21, 2018 Episode #109 It’s All About Cash Flow And ROI Mar 21, 2018
- Mar 13, 2018 Episode #108 Build Your Brand with Ideas For Holidays & Big Events Mar 13, 2018
- Mar 7, 2018 Episode #107 Last Minute Tax Advice from an Industry Expert Mar 7, 2018
- Mar 1, 2018 Episode #106 Marketing Firepower Starts With Your Brand! Mar 1, 2018
- Feb 14, 2018 Episode #105 Why We Love That Old Staff Magic! Feb 14, 2018
- Feb 8, 2018 Episode #104 So You Think You Want To Start A Restaurant Feb 8, 2018
- Feb 1, 2018 Episode #103 Build Your House On This Foundation! Feb 1, 2018
- Jan 24, 2018 Episode #102 Can Your Operation Use a Makeover? Jan 24, 2018
- Jan 17, 2018 Episode #101 In The Age Of Online Reviews This Is Dangerous Thinking Jan 17, 2018
- Jan 10, 2018 Episode #100 Key Learnings from a Global Hospitality Entrepreneur Jan 10, 2018
- Dec 22, 2017 Top 5 Podcast Episodes of 2017 Dec 22, 2017
- Dec 13, 2017 Episode #99 The Truth About Your Competitors Dec 13, 2017
- Dec 5, 2017 Episode #98 If You Build It Will They REALLY Come? Dec 5, 2017
- Nov 28, 2017 Episode #97 Inventory in Half the Time, No Kidding! Nov 28, 2017
- Nov 14, 2017 Episode #96 Too Crazy To Believe - A True Story Nov 14, 2017
- Nov 2, 2017 Episode #95 Is Technology Replacing True Hospitality in your Operation Nov 2, 2017
- Oct 25, 2017 Episode #94 More Money in Your Register, Night after Night! Oct 25, 2017
- Oct 17, 2017 Episode #93 A Winning Strategy For Your Restaurant From Your Favorite Sports Team Oct 17, 2017
- Oct 11, 2017 Episode #92 HIT THE JACKPOT with your Restaurant’s Marketing Oct 11, 2017
- Sep 26, 2017 Episode #91 Is Your Restaurant Running You? Sep 26, 2017
- Sep 14, 2017 Episode #90 Maybe The Most Important PROFIT BUILDER In Your Restaurant Sep 14, 2017
- Sep 6, 2017 Episode #89 Are Millennials REALLY Hard to Manage? Sep 6, 2017
- Aug 29, 2017 Episode #88 Astounding Service That Knocked My Socks Off Aug 29, 2017
- Aug 22, 2017 Episode #87 Make THOUSANDS of NEW DOLLARS with Relationships Aug 22, 2017
- Aug 17, 2017 Episode #86 How To Crush Restaurant Marketing With Erik Shellenberger Aug 17, 2017
- Aug 8, 2017 Episode #85 I Started A Mug Club And Earned Almost $50K More A Year! Aug 8, 2017
- Aug 4, 2017 Episode #84 The Secret To Getting + Keeping Great Restaurant Staff Aug 4, 2017
- Jul 26, 2017 Episode #83 8 Great Things To Tell Your Staff Today Jul 26, 2017
- Jul 18, 2017 Episode #82 The Cash Is In Your Pocket Or Theirs Jul 18, 2017
- Jul 10, 2017 Episode #81 Staff Turnover...NEVER again... Jul 10, 2017
- Jul 5, 2017 Episode #80 These 3 Things are Vital to Your Success Jul 5, 2017
- Jun 22, 2017 Episode #79 How To Deliver AMAZING Customer Experiences Jun 22, 2017
- Jun 13, 2017 Episode #78 Disaster may be around the Next Corner Jun 13, 2017
- Jun 6, 2017 Episode #77 Get Bulletproof or Die! Jun 6, 2017
- May 31, 2017 Episode #76 A Financial Expert Tells All May 31, 2017
- May 23, 2017 Episode #75 Are your Customers Peeved? May 23, 2017
- May 16, 2017 Episode #74 WOW Your Customer or your Competitors Will! May 16, 2017
- May 9, 2017 Episode #73 A Secret Weapon For Your STAFF May 9, 2017
- May 1, 2017 Episode #72 Here’s A Profit Center More Profitable than your Restaurant! May 1, 2017
- Apr 25, 2017 Episode #71 How To Print Money in your Restaurant with Cash Cows Apr 25, 2017
- Apr 18, 2017 Episode #70 Explode Your Restaurant’s Marketing Firepower! Apr 18, 2017
- Apr 13, 2017 Episode #69 "Paramount Service" Knows NO Pricepoint! Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 6, 2017 Episode #68 Secrets From A 5-Star Kitchen w/ Rachel Wiener of the St. Regis Deer Valley Apr 6, 2017
- Mar 28, 2017 Episode #67 Could You Leave Your Restaurant? Exit Strategy Part 2 Mar 28, 2017
- Mar 22, 2017 Episode #66 Never Quit, Never Say Die Mar 22, 2017
- Mar 17, 2017 Episode #65 How To Absolutely Dominate The Competition! Mar 17, 2017
- Mar 9, 2017 Episode #64 The Money’s Either in Your Pocket or Theirs! Mar 9, 2017
- Feb 22, 2017 Episode #63 The Heart & Soul of a Restaurateur Feb 22, 2017
- Feb 14, 2017 Episode #62 Would Your Restaurant Win an Oscar? Feb 14, 2017
- Feb 2, 2017 Episode #61 What Would Happen if You Left Your Restaurant? Feb 2, 2017
- Jan 26, 2017 Episode #60 Why and When You Should Close Your Restaurant Jan 26, 2017
- Jan 9, 2017 Episode #59 Recipe for Disaster in Your Restaurant Jan 9, 2017
- Jan 2, 2017 Episode # 58 How to Tell if your Menu is Printing Money or Losing Money Jan 2, 2017
- Dec 27, 2016 Episode #57 Find Out NOW if Your Least Profitable Menu Items are Your Biggest Sellers! Dec 27, 2016
- Dec 21, 2016 Episode #56 How to Save 4% on your Food Cost - Do This Now! Dec 21, 2016
- Dec 12, 2016 Episode #55 Dominate Your Competition With Personalized Guest Service Dec 12, 2016
- Dec 7, 2016 Episode #54 How To Sell More Gift Cards This Holiday Season! Dec 7, 2016
- Dec 5, 2016 Episode #53 A Simple APP That Rocks Your Beverage Sales & Trains Your Staff - PART 2 Dec 5, 2016
- Nov 28, 2016 Episode #52 This Chain Has it Dialed & Your Restaurant Can Too! Nov 28, 2016
- Nov 22, 2016 Episode #51 Are There Leaks In Your Restaurant's Labor Costs? Nov 22, 2016
- Nov 16, 2016 Episode #50 Boost Your Beverage Sales & Train Your Staff With One Simple App Nov 16, 2016
- Nov 7, 2016 Episode #49 Is Hospitality A Lost Art? Nov 7, 2016
- Nov 1, 2016 Episode #48 Why The Absolute Best Servers Assume The Sale Nov 1, 2016
- Oct 24, 2016 Episode #47 This FREE Restaurant App Is A Game Changer Oct 24, 2016
- Oct 20, 2016 Episode #46 - Hiring the Wrong People with the Wrong Approach? Oct 20, 2016
- Oct 17, 2016 Episode #45 Part 2 - Your Burning Restaurant Questions Continued with Jaime Oikle of Running Restaurants Oct 17, 2016
- Oct 12, 2016 Episode #44 Part 1 - Burning Questions From Restaurant Owners with Jaime Oikle of Running Restaurants Oct 12, 2016
- Oct 4, 2016 Episode #43 TOP TIP - Why Fast Food and Full-Serve Restaurants Don't Mix Oct 4, 2016
- Sep 27, 2016 Episode #42 Systemize Your Restaurant Right From The Start Sep 27, 2016
- Sep 14, 2016 Episode #41 Fix what's broken or you'll repeat your mistakes! Sep 14, 2016
- Sep 1, 2016 Episode #40 Don't Hire Another Employee Until You Hear This Sep 1, 2016
- Aug 17, 2016 Episode #39 You Can’t Have TOO Many HOOKS!! Aug 17, 2016
- Aug 3, 2016 Episode #38 Kill It Or Get Killed - 25 Actionable Ideas For Your Restaurant! Aug 3, 2016
- Jul 28, 2016 Episode #37 Fill Your Seats night after night for $300 Jul 28, 2016
- Jul 20, 2016 Episode #36 TOP TIP - Why CLOSING your Restaurant will SAVE you $$$! Jul 20, 2016
- Jul 13, 2016 Episode #35 A Rocking Marketing System On The Cheap Jul 13, 2016
- Jun 18, 2016 Episode #34 Don’t Fear Technology… Fear a Restaurant without a System! Jun 18, 2016
- Jun 7, 2016 Episode #33 Wobbly Tables Wobble Your Customer - The Solution Once and For All Jun 7, 2016
- May 31, 2016 Episode #32 This Customer Convenience Adds Higher Profit Sales Without Taking Up Seats May 31, 2016
- May 18, 2016 Episode #31 How to Run A Restaurant That Doesn't Run You - Jaime Oikle of RunningRestaurants.com May 18, 2016
- May 11, 2016 Episode #30 The Real Scoop on your State Restaurant Association May 11, 2016
- May 9, 2016 Episode #29 If Your Staff Doesn't Notice, Your Guests Will! May 9, 2016
- May 4, 2016 Episode #28 Eric Cacciatore of Restaurant Unstoppable - Why I Surround Myself With Industry Leaders May 4, 2016
- May 2, 2016 Episode #27 How to Build Your Brand & Print Money by Dining in Your Own Restaurant! May 2, 2016
- Apr 27, 2016 Episode #26 Got the Back of House Blues? Here’s your Answer! Apr 27, 2016
- Apr 25, 2016 Episode #25 Is Your Restaurant Crazy Profitable or Just Popular? Apr 25, 2016
- Apr 20, 2016 Episode #24 How To Launch A Hot New Concept With Brett Payne Of Classic Rock Coffee Apr 20, 2016
- Apr 18, 2016 Episode #23 When Hospitality Goes Wrong - And I Wine! Apr 18, 2016
- Apr 14, 2016 Episode #22 What Happened to the Service in a Service Business? An Interview with Chef James Clary. Apr 14, 2016
- Mar 10, 2016 Episode #21 The MEGA Power of Your Restaurant's Daily Pre-shift Meeting Mar 10, 2016
- Feb 9, 2016 Episode #20 The Power of Using Restaurant Intelligence To Build Your Business & Brand Feb 9, 2016
- Feb 3, 2016 Episode #19 What's My Dentist Got To Do With It? Feb 3, 2016
- Dec 21, 2015 Episode #18 Building Your Dream Team Dec 21, 2015
- Dec 11, 2015 Episode #17 Fantastic Food Overshadowed By Inconsistency Dec 11, 2015
- Dec 11, 2015 Episode #16 The Challenges of Leasing vs Buying Dec 11, 2015
- Oct 30, 2015 Episode #15 The devil is in the details in Denver Oct 30, 2015
- Oct 12, 2015 Episode #13 - Get a free copy of my new book Oct 12, 2015
- Oct 1, 2015 Sales Stars Server Training - Double Your Profits Oct 1, 2015
- Oct 1, 2015 Episode #12 - The Power of A Kid Friendly Restaurant Oct 1, 2015
- September 2015
- Aug 27, 2015 Episode #9 - Is Your Restaurant Wildly Successful? Aug 27, 2015
- Aug 18, 2015 Episode #8 - Make More Money Aug 18, 2015
- Aug 11, 2015 Episode #7 - Are You Running a Restaurant or a BUSINESS? Aug 11, 2015
- Aug 4, 2015 Episode #6 How to Build Affinity, Loyalty and Repeat Business. Aug 4, 2015
- Jul 20, 2015 Episode #5 - An Amazing Dining Experience in Columbus Ohio Jul 20, 2015
- Jul 14, 2015 Episode #4 - How to Cost Your Menu to Maximize your Profits Jul 14, 2015
- Jul 2, 2015 Episode #3 - How to Achieve a Restaurant Hat-Trick Jul 2, 2015
- Jun 23, 2015 Episode #2 - Assume the Sale Jun 23, 2015
- Jun 15, 2015 Episode #1 - Create a Kick-Ass Brand (not just a restaurant) Jun 15, 2015
EPISODE #97 TRANSCRIPTION
[Start of Transcript]
You’re tuned in to the Restaurant Rockstars Podcast. Powerful ideas to rock your restaurant here's your host Roger Beaudoin
Roger: Hi everyone if you listen regularly, you've heard me speak about the power of systems to run your business. It may take a little time right but the ROI and the time freedom are priceless. My guest today is not only still running his bricks and mortar operation with systems in place of course, he's also come up with a very unique system that tackles one of the more daunting challenges in this business for all operators. I'm talking inventory and although many owners and managers really don't enjoy this process, I believe this new app may change your mind give it a listen!
Hey! Welcome back to the Restaurant Rockstars Podcast. Engaging topics to help restaurant and bar owners build their brands rock their profits and deliver amazing guest service experiences.
You know whenever I come across a new technology or an exciting guest that it's something that will benefit my audience, I'm so excited to share that. Today's guest is a bar owner and The Founder and CEO of a company called ‘Bar Patrol’
Now Bar Patrol is all about helping you as a restaurant and bar owner make more money in your business and streamline and automate a critical part of the business namely inventory. Now, inventory is a challenge, I come across businesses all the time that are not taking regular inventory but there's no reason for this. It is such a powerful control on your business so you definitely have to pay attention to today's guest. This is really exciting, His name is Dave Aured and he is the CEO and Founder of Bar Patrol. Hey Dave! Thanks for coming on the show today.
Dave: Hi Roger, how are you doing? It's great to be here, I’ve been following your Podcast for a while and you have nuggets of information. I'm always picking up; I'm always learning that probably passed on my clients so it's a pleasure to be here.
Roger: Well, it's always great to have a guest that's passionate about the business that's still in the business; it's working it daily, improving their own business but also improving other businesses as well.
So, really excited to have you; So Dave, you know I understand you've got 30years of experience in the business can you sort of give us your backstory and take us through your career and how you got to where you are today?
Dave: Sure, I'll go really quick you know I'm like a lot of us I kind of just walked into it and I started a dirty Chinese restaurant at sixteen you know about some tables and I call this the quicksand business because you kind of wander in one day looking for a part-time job and then you know 30years later you're still in it, no matter how much you struggle to get out, it just have a hold on you and we're kind of a different breed.
We don't like cubicle, we you know we like standing we don't want to be cooped up and we like to be out about and so you just kind of get in it and I've been really successful at it you know bartending was the core of it for a long time. I did it for 15years and you know I loved and I kind of live that you know Rockstars bartending life and I made a lot of money but it got to a point where I started bar managing and that was I knew a lot about it.
But it got to a point where my wife was a school teacher my kids were going to school in the day, I was going to work at night and they got really tough because we never saw each other and you know it was a strain on our marriage and our relationship. And I started looking for something else and I try to you know two or three other businesses that were semi-successful and I just didn’t have a passion for them and you know I got to kind of a breaking point and my wife finally came to me and said, “You know what, stop trying to escape this business you know so much about and just do something different with it”
And that's when we found you know Bevan Co and sculptural not now sculpture and bar metrics doing this Inventory Management for bars and they were taking full service on it solving inventory for them is they want a lot of money and I thought you know, “I can do that”.
And when you start a business you think it's going to be a lot easier than it is and so what I had to go through to get where I am now it was a lot. But I started going and I started to research and use Inventory software, I started my own clients increase going to have ten or twelve clients pay me thousand bucks a month to take inventory once a week and I was saving a lot of money and I learned a lot there and pretty soon I created my own software and now we sell online, we’re in 37states and 7countries and we are all over and go like a whirlwind.
But now, I love the industry that I once was starting to hate because it was kind of ruining my life which was what I was doing. So now, I help bar owners kind of run systems to run a better bar.
Roger: And you've got some really high profile clients I noticed PF Chang's and outback in all these really, really high profile you know national chains in addition to independents. So, you know if a national chain has something dialed in and they have their systems dial that you're a great tremendous resource for the indie out there that just is looking for an advantage you know you're a systems guy like me and you know we probably come across similarly restaurants and bars all the time that are just work and spin their wheels are working six and seven days a week and you know they're just trying to make a go of it and the key is out there at their fingertips and they're not taking advantage and they're not taking the regular inventories and they're not knowing what their deal you know what their costs are and what they're most profitable items are.
I mean all these are just critical tools and you're making that simple for them so why don't you walk us through you know the app and how it works and what it does-- I understand you've got over 2000 products that are loaded in there and this is a fully automated tool, I know that it works on iPads and iPhones and that sort of thing.
But before I give too much information, why don't you walk the audience through what you've got and how it works and how simple it can be. I know it cut inventory time in half, so take it from there Dave.
Dave: Yeah and that's what I want you know our main target is kind of mid-size restaurant and for full disclosure, PF Chang are not currently using my app.
I worked with them for years when I first started Bar Patrol, I did inventory for them for a couple PF Chang's I work with four or five Outback Steakhouse and for over 3years and so I had a good relationship with them just to make sure you know they don’t come at me. They're not using it right now.
Roger: Thanks for clarifying, that’s all part of the foundation of this app you know the work that you did with these key players that refined what you've got. So, I'm sorry to interrupt but I'm glad that you clarified.
Dave: Thanks and so you know that we go after that mid-range our restaurant managers and owners who may not know what they're doing as much and we talked about this earlier out you know bar owners aren't breed like anyone else you know they might be a wealthy real estate guy who just want to buy a bar because it was fun or he might have just gotten a smelly tank top or in your shop that really has no idea what he's doing to you know the bar owner who really wants know what's going on he's new at it.
So, these are the people we help and a lot of times Technology will kind of freak them out right they have their methods, they have their way of doing things, they're doing their spreadsheets and they're taking our tally marks on a clipboard and then they've got to go really into that data and this is really time consuming and so what we do is we help make it easier for them.
And even though there's a learning curve in the beginning to kind of start using something new, once you get it you never go back. You know ask people you don't still have your flip phone? We have DVR we can tape shows you don't use dial up Internet, you never go back to that life and you had to learn that stuff when you first got there was a learning curve but now that you have it, you never go back and save you time, does so much more for you and it's going to give you an insight into your business that you didn't have before.
So now, you can go through your inventory much faster things like your data online so you have this online dashboard where we can see your inventory, you can track your bartenders and makes your life easier. Like I told you earlier, it doesn't have these analytics that are you know who was the weather like on Wednesday and how many were sold in November when it's sunny or rainy and it just has a solid analytics that are really going to help you keep it simple and save you a lot of money.
Roger: OK that's great! Can you walk us through the process now you've got a new bar owner that is on board with this they've got the app, it's loaded to their iPhone or their iPad or whatever and then the inventory process obviously moving through your storage cabinets, moving through you know the back bar what's there, you know all that sort of thing.
It's all arranged on the app in the order that you would naturally take inventory is that correct?
Dave: You got it! So, what we do is the first time you take an internal app is it creates a blueprint so you're going to enter the bottles exactly how they're on your shelf, exactly how they're on your in your cooler.
And then from there, you're going to open all your products are going to pop up and exact same order so you can just go through them in that order. 2-Jack Daniels, 3-Greygoose and go through super-fast.
We have a Bluetooth scale which people love a lot of the apps don't have scales, they have a little slider bar which is OK or other quite common on it. We have a Bluetooth scale which is super-fast, it's kind of sexy and people love it. I would say 90% of the clients are signed up for us going to Bluetooth scale it's about a 2% margin of error so it's really accurate.
So you weigh up your bottles and then once you do that, you know half our clients are just using it to count inventory faster and do the ordering. Because it does tell you how much to order as well, tells you how much shorter. And then the other half are using the recipes where you can really track what your Bartender is doing recipes or any button from your POS system.
So we're going to the portion we can track and then you can share your bartenders [inaudible 9:55] and once you show them every single bar I go into, is losing 25% of their inventory.
I’ve never come across a bar I went to take inventory for and I’ve done hundreds of them that weren’t losing a quarter of their products. It happens every time and we got various out 5-6% and we just save them thousands of dollars.
Roger: Now that's beautiful, no you you're obviously—are you talking waste, spoilage, theft, free drinks, all those things is any of those jumping out more often than not? Let's talk about that.
Dave: Yeah that's all time and so you know all the waste and I got to tell you, I need to break the hearts of everyone but all bartender stealing the 90% of them and whether it's meant to be or not meant to be, whether or not don't know they're doing it you know they are over pouring, they're wasting your product and bartenders are not bad people, they're just caught up in your conformity and they do what other people around them.
And so, when they're not being monitored, they'll just do whatever they want and so what we do is use a monitoring tool to see how they are pour and those monitoring tools are fascinating. They did this study at Newcastle University where they put posters of eyes on the wall in the cafeteria and after they did that, they found that 70% more people were cleaning up their trash and they were before just like posters not even realized they got the same thing in office buildings and productivity goes up like 40%.
People act in a more responsible way if they know they're being watched and this is what the tool does for you is knowing counts faster so you can see what you know what your item cost is and all that. But you know it lets the bartenders know hey our standards are higher than this you need to watch your pours so we can all make money.
Roger: So, I have a term that I love to use and it's called the sweet-spot and the sweet-spot obviously mostly applies to prime cost in a bar or restaurant. What your food your beverage and labor costs are combined and all that sort of thing but these restaurants and bars that aren't taking inventory, wouldn't really know what their food or beverage cost percentage is because it all begins with the inventory process.
So, if we have identified I should say, if you identify a problem if you're working with a client one-on-one or even just using the app, then those people suddenly know we have a tool to find what their sweet spot should be and if there's any variance from week to week or month to month, then you know you can pinpoint that problem “OK my bartenders are stealing from me, they're over pouring or the draft beer companies come in 3times a week to clear my lines just so I waste a lot of products so I buy more beer” I mean all this stuff happens right?
Roger: But you've got something that's the key to identifying the problem which I think is beautiful and giving them an easy system that now gives them more control over their business. So, I totally get it and it's so, so important to me.
I'm out of the business now; I mean I ran restaurants for 20+years and I didn't use a ton of technology then but had I known about this particular app years ago I would have been all over it I mean this is awesome.
Dave: Yeah and you know that's the key here is to keep it simple but you know make your life use your we we're not trying to make things more complicated for anything and you know tracking everything and I see you know your stuff your stuff is great Roger and what you have there is tracking exactly what's going in and out of your restaurant and you know we know about your future and our virtual to a recipe section were we can itemize cost where you know the price of whatever it is like a Black Russian that will tell you your exact cost reports for cents and what your profit is so you can you can identify those most profitable items.
One of my favorite things that you do with your clients is go through and do that and that menu analysis which I do a lot of my clients too and find out those prop items because they're all excited man now this is our best seller go crazy like you're making 3bucks and I think exactly what we hear you so maybe 30% less if you're making 8bucks on it if you know if you sold that things are put more like that your profits will go up. So, that stuff is Super value, I love that stuff.
Roger: I mean again therein lies the passion you know I learned by the school of hard knocks is that when I got into the business I had no restaurant or bar experience and I had to learn all this stuff I had to create all the systems on my own.
And now, you and other providers of technology just so totally simplify it, you don't need to make the same mistakes and you're touching on a critical issue here it's all about-- why else are you in this business but to make a profit. Yes it's a passionate business, it's about relationships, we enjoy our customers, we enjoy working in developing our staff, but if you're not making money at the end of the day, there's no point and there's far too many operators out there that are marginally profitable on the verge of disaster or they're just spinning their wheels. And there's no need for that and it all comes down to these systems, it's all about the systems and you know thanks for pointing that out.
Dave: And what I found is a lot of these owners and managers you know they don't know what they're getting into and I start a bar and you’ve seen it and I feel like just like they're on the side of a cliff and they're just hanging on that one little ruler hoping it doesn't break and fall.
And so, they end up just trying to survive and what I try to really instill in them is you know raise the standards of what you're doing. Whatever you got going, whatever you think you are too busy, raise the standards of your customer service, raise the standards all your systems or the food in your menu and do it and they all just kind of stay in the middle and you know what my favorite things were any role Oh mate you wrote you know Man's Search for himself and he says I'm a book all stuck with me you know and so the opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it's conformity.
People acting like everyone else without knowing why and I think that happens to people when they’re running a business. This is the way things are done, this way the guy down the street is doing it, I don't want to rock the boat, I want to make sure I stay right my little comfort zone and one of the Podcast I love that you did was when you were talking about the hooks and the stuff that goes on people you know bring in the amazing glow sticks with a candle to the table for the birthday or the conveyor belt the glasses going around going outside and they come back and cross the call and people get excited about that I mean those people did not conform with the norm, they got it took a chance to do something great and that's what we want people to do it.
And I'm kind of that zone of just protecting your money and making sure a system but I want people to know to raise their standards not just try to survive and do things the right way. And yes, inventory sucks but a lot of people's jobs suck I mean what you should want a great papers that's part of the job though and a pretty successful you've got to do the things that suck as well that you do things that are fun.
Roger: No doubt about it, let's back up a second Dave and let's talk about-- you were talking about the really cool Bluetooth scale and I'm all over that idea because OK old school would be to look at a bottle and every single liquor bottle is designed differently to jump off the shelf.
So, it's really hard to eyeball and say, “OK there's point three of the Greygoose but there's point four of the Tangerang or because the bottles are completely different you're just there's such inaccuracy in that OK. So that's one key piece that this eliminates by putting every bottle in the scale and then in an instant it gives you the volume right? That’s beautiful.
And then you've got your beer coolers and you may have cans in there and you may have bottles in there and sometimes you've got 100bottles in there but you still got to count those don't you know one by one?
Dave: For the beer bottles definitely. And all that I mean food is a little different if you have a case of 230lines you're going to go through a company of 230lines right you've got to point out that but all beer that's you that count usually there are cases in the single kind of on your bar so that you know those are pretty easy.
But you got to count it all and you know with the way in the bottles are super important and the point counting just is there's about 10%-15% margin of error important counting when and when you have a signal in two or ten or twelve thousand number and it's going to skew your part about percentage.
And my you know my point six is different from your point six per share so different right so tell me how those numbers are way off of the way and takes that out it takes away human error and you know we have that big 2000product master list of terror weights and if there's not products on there that are in your bar you about 10% of our clients will have products that are on there and we have a way for you to figure that out really quick in an easy formula.
Roger: OK what do we do about draft beer?
Dave: So draft beer is one of the hardest things in industry to track and there's a really fancy systems out there a tracker that are super expensive and there are ten grand to put in and they're pretty good but people will admit that even those you know that tracking the phone are like a long drawn lines how much is in it is the toughest.
So, it's still fairly accurate we can weigh our keg so we can put our keg on a scale; I have a fancy $350 keg scale but you can literally-- I went out and bought want to Target I think I bought a $25 digital scale and put the case on there and it's just be a scale that when you take it off and hold the weight there for a few seconds because you can't see it when it's on there and then you can just weigh and the barber pole app and it will know how much is in that case based on the weight.
So, it's fairly accurate I would say there's about 10% margin of error there because it's draft beer and there's also much fun going through a some bars so they're not quite sure how much is being given away based on that but it's still very accurate if you weigh the kegs. A lot of people along with other kegs kind of shake them.
Roger: We used to do that a decade ago I used to pick up the kegs and give it a shake and it's like it feels like a quarter of a barrel, it feels like a half.
Dave: And it’s not a decade ago; even right now they’re still doing it. so, what you can weigh are so just like you go on you can know how many pounds that is and go figure just the same way.
Roger: Awesome, Alright so the scale is the key; it weighs the bottles, weighs the kegs is awesome so far.
Let's talk about onboarding a new bar, a new restaurant Well before I go there, you did talk about food inventory-- so I'm hearing that also does your food and your beverage inventory.
Dave: The app will do anything at all same cost so if you do food, a lot of restaurants do food now. You can do food, you can do you know-- if you sell cigarettes, if you sell ads T-shirts anything you can count I mean some limited uses out what they want to do anything you think out you can use the app for and we can set it up in your bar absolutely
Roger: Very cool. OK Let's jump into onboarding a new bar or a new restaurant. What's the process? How long does it take to get somebody where they're comfortable with this and any support needs?
Dave: Absolutely! So you know anyone interested in this can you know go to our website barpatrol.net and just have to schedule a demo and they get a demo with me. So right now, I'm still the face, you’re not going to get some operator. I hired four assistants that work for me that a lot of backend stuff but I'm still the face of the company. So, he's going to let them know it's kind of like a mini consultation with me.
I do a screen share where you can see the app, you can see the online dashboard where I walk you through it, you know I ask you know what is it you're looking for you can ask questions and I kind of show you how it works kind of take away you know demystify what it is.
Then to get set up you know center products and your recipes you know if you're on really want to check your bartenders, the whole set up process is a little time consuming but once it's set up, it’s set up for good.
And it's going to be like that with any inventory system you find. So, setting up your products will take 1hour or 1hr 15minutes and then set up recipes can take a little bit longer those are recipes that are POS system.
We do the entire thing for anyone who doesn't want to deal with it there's not wash their hands clean of it will do it for you know for a fee that will set up things you know the right thing and you know if you're ready to go.
Any time you support again right now until I get too overwhelmed, I'm the guy you're going to be talking to you give me an e-mail or give me a text and then you know I'm there to answer any questions you have and make sure you get through it and do another screen share. A lot of times people ask your question I'll make a quick video I'll some video say this is how you and they can launch a quick video that I make for them so you know supports them and you know I talked to Nick was very about this too are kind of the face of our company so you're not getting you know just some of that a giant company hired to answer phones.
Roger: So you're also starting a Facebook group and I know Nick is another fellow industry pro and con and he's got some salad bar experiences. Well the two of you are putting your heads together to really help other owners and I understand you starting a Facebook group do you want to talk a little about that?
Dave: Yeah, this is in the early stages that we're going to wrap it all in the holidays because everything around us is slumped in next month but we're really excited to be working together and anyone who doesn't know  he is a huge marketing guy; he is the best in the business when it comes about it's specially so our thing right now you know Nick brings you the money because the bugs in the seats and make sure a lot more money and then my system protects the money so you don't lick it out.
So, we’ll be starting that some times in the beginning of the year and we're to have people invite people to come in and we're not allowing any you know sales people to get in there we don't want to bunch of people pitching their products.
We don’t want any of that, if they do that they're out so we just want to help people and we're just going to get a lot of free advice and anyone who asked questions you know other managers or bar owners can answer you know the answer or me and Nick will be in there answering questions and just trying to help people out with some free advice and not what you all are pitching. So, we're really excited about that kind of another avenue to help people you know with their needs because you know people need a lot of help in this business.
Roger: You've got a real competitive advantage with your product, your app, your system. Now, it's got all the capabilities of 90% of your competitors out there but it's really half the cost; I mean that's a very compelling message right there, do you want to talk pricing?
Dave: Yeah and you know this is part of my model in my business plan and when I was selling, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, I started off just walking through streets and walking into hundreds of bars and talking about bar management and trying to help them and just do full service and then when I went to the app, I was present competitive with other ones out there so I was present my if I have it $150 or $79 a month which was still a great ROI on your money and then about your go my business partner said you know what? What we hear from bar owners is that I like that idea but I don’t want to pay too much. So, we're just going to get a price that they have no excuses they can’t say no.
So, my goal and my entire mission statement is to put this in as many hands of bar owners who want it. And they have no excuse because it's like a $1.63 a day to have this in your bar. That’s like half the price of a coke in your bar that you sell a day and you know you're bartenders are giving away the average amount and my experience the bartenders are giving away today is 185bucks.
You lose about you know $65,000-$70,000 a year at a midsize bar. So, at a buck sixty three a day, bars have no excuse.
It’s all part of my plan and it has the exact same or more features and capabilities than 90% of the systems out there and yet there are selling for under fifty two hundred I'm using it for 350bucks a month.
So, I kind of price cut them all it's as good as anything out there and I’m trying just to help as many people as I can.
Roger: Well, you just hit the nail on the head there because obviously if you've got a restaurant that has a bar, the bar is a huge profit center unto itself that's more profitable than selling food, if you're just a bar owner, I mean you want to stop the bleeding.
Because we all know you know there's so many potential leaks in the bar business especially if you don't understand the fundamentals, if you're just getting into the business, you can lose a ton of money just because you don't know what's going on and mean this is this is definitely key to you know to stopping the bleeding and just giving you-- like you said keeping the money you know you're working so hard just to bring the seats in you know get people filling your place but you don't want to spin your wheels and lose it without the system.
I think that's fantastic; you've got a fantastic explainer video also like you we covered a lot of these points but if you go to a Barpatrol.net I mean you did a really great job of putting this video together that explains the whole thing and gives people a really good idea of who you are, where you've been, what you've done, what you're doing now and how this can help.
I definitely recommend people do that and even better I mean you're going to do a complete screen share demo with folks to walk them through and so you know why would you want to do that? I think that's great!
Dave: Yeah, it's a huge thing for me, it’s just being totally transparent because I can stand when I’m looking at a product that's going to let them know, schedule demo, there's no pricing, you know they want to talk to me right they require your phone number so they can call you.
To me, I want to put everything out upfront; this is what you get if you have any questions we can screen share, you can e-mail me, you can text you know whatever is most comfortable for that person, I want to make that person comfortable because everyone has a different way they want to do things.
But I want to be as transparent as possible; I'm not trying to hide anything. So, you come on they're like yeah I'm going to cost you 10grand and now you know you know you don't want any more. It's all there on the website and what you see is what you get.
Roger: Have we missed anything Dave? Anything else you want to share with the audience that we haven't covered that would help them run a better business?
Dave: Well you know the one thing we talked about earlier you and I was you know my kind of paraphrase but I when I go to talk to an owner or manager you know I ask them, “Are you a bar owner or are you a business owner?” And this is the big part.
I know this is a big part of your philosophy too. There's a huge difference and sometimes they're going to look at me quizzically like, “What do you mean? “I'm both”
Well, you got to choose one because the bar owners get away shops are having fun or some of the bar and being a business owner is a business owner. And what I found is that the bar industry is kind of a different breed but its business; it’s the same as any other business and it all comes out in execution.
So, we can have all the tools I got Bar Patrol you got a thousand tools on your site you got your you know you got your management program that you're SOL it's just fantastic you've got all this stuff but if you're not going to go execute it and it doesn't matter and it doesn't matter what business you're at you have to execute these things or they're not going to work. So, if you know it's all comes back to raising the standards are you a bar owner or a business owner? You going to make a decision, you've got to draw the line and make that decision.
And then go live that life and be happy with whatever decision you choose
Roger: You're also talking about an exit strategy and that's something that's near and dear to my heart because I sold my restaurants and bars years ago. I had several operations and now I'm focused on you know share in the love in the passion and the knowledge to help other operators.
But this exit strategy philosophy means different things to different people maybe you want to sell your businesses like I did, maybe you want to open more locations, maybe you want to franchise, maybe you just want to spend more time with your family and your kids.
And it's really the systems that are going to do that for you and otherwise yeah you're just going to be spinning your wheels tied your business wondering why your bank account isn't growing and you're missing your kid's soccer game, you know it's too bad.
Dave: Michael Gerber from the you know files member he said in there you know people want to become an entrepreneur you know he asked them why they did you know it just sounds cool right. I'm an entrepreneur, I run my own business but when it came down to it they weren't actually being an entrepreneur, they just did it because it sounded cool. So they weren't you are setting themselves up for success open systems and so they have daily success and like you said, have a strategy down the road.
Roger: well, entrepreneurs work on their business today and you mentioned earlier yeah it's a little bit of work upfront but once it's in place, it's there forever.
And not just freed up a whole bunch of time there's so much ROI to that. So, you know one of the mantra is “Work on your business today so you decide how or if you work in that business in the future or maybe you just have the big picture from thirty thousand feet and you've got really good people in place that you can trust you can go on to open other locations or even get into another business and you're an entrepreneur running multiple businesses and you know that you've got the systems in place so that you're maximizing your profits and you're delivering great experiences to your guests”
That's what it's all about in this business wouldn't you agree?
Dave: You totally know that's everything and I have a lot it's overwhelming I get it but it's just one very time here but it doesn't look quite so much as your step one, do this, step two, do this and then it’ll run itself.
Roger: Well, it's been awesome having you as a guest Dave, I totally believe in Bar Patrol. I want everybody to go to that website and just check this out, get a free demo with you know and on screen demo and again the website will be in my show notes but its barpatrol.net
And we're speaking with Dave Aured, it's been great having you Dave, thanks for being my guest today.
Dave: Oh my pleasure this is a pull up for me, I appreciate Roger, thank you so much
Thank you for listening to The Restaurant's Rockstars Podcast. For lots of great resources head over to restaurantrockstar.com and while you're there, download a copy of the book, ‘Rock Your Restaurant’ it’s a game changer, See you next time.
[End of Transcript]